My First Semester Experience At The University Of Portharcout

 

My first semester at Uniport was a mixed bag of experience. I faced numerous eye-opening experience that exposed me to both the challenges and opportunities of pursuing a degree in journalism.


My frustration started with the clearance process, which was slow and disorganized. I made a conscious effort to wake up early and dress promptly, hoping to be among the first in line. However, upon arrival, I was dismayed to find that I was not even among the first 100 students to be attended to. This experience left me perplexed, wondering if some students had camped out overnight in front of the gate or had somehow managed to find lodging within the building itself. The experience was baffling, and after all the hassle, I was finally through with my clearance, which was a great relief.

Before lectures began, we often came to school only to find out that there were no classes. Our course rep would announce a change in lecture halls, and we would all rush to the new location, only to wait for hours for a lecturer who never showed up. Most times, our course rep would announce that the lecture hall had been moved to CBN hall, and we would all move there like sheep without a shepherd, only to wait for hours again. Yet again, the course rep would announce that the lecture hall had been moved to ETF hall, and we will all move down like hypnotized people to the ETF hall, only for nothing to happen. This annoyed me the most, and I got so frustrated that I stopped coming to school at one point.

Starting my faculty clearance was another challenge. I was advised by a senior colleague to delay it to avoid being the first on the class list. When I finally did it, I found it to be money-demanding. However, it was not as stressful as the other clearances I had done.My lectures were not as tough as I expected, thanks to my prior research on journalism before school resumption. However, the “Introduction to Broadcasting” course was a nightmare, with similar terms that confused me.

As exams drew closer, I grew increasingly anxious. At first, we were counting weeks, then days, then hours. My first night class was not as terrible as I expected; in fact, I enjoyed it. Being surrounded by motivated people inspired me to read and prepare well for exams.

Uniport’s infrastructure and facilities have contributed significantly to my frustration. The insufficient toilets around the school environment, coupled with the extortionate behavior of the workers who demand a fee of 200 Naira before allowing students to use the facilities, even in urgent situations, is unacceptable. Additionally, the inadequate lighting and cooling facilities in the large lecture halls, which often become overcrowded and stuffy, pose a significant discomfort to students. The overgrown bushes around the school, which provide a haven for crawling insects and animals, are also a concern, particularly at night. One of the most disappointing experiences was our visit to the university’s radio station. I had been looking forward to exploring the facilities and learning from the practical experience. Unfortunately, the station lacked modern equipment, making it difficult for us to fully comprehend the inner workings of a radio station. We could not see all the equipment used in a radio and television station, which hindered our learning experience. I had expected a more hands-on experience, but instead, we were limited to a theoretical understanding.

I believe that with some improvements, the university can create a more supportive and enabling environment for students to thrive. Upgrading the university radio station with modern equipment and facilities would provide students with hands-on experience. Beautifying the campus by clearing the overgrown bushes and maintaining a clean environment would enhance the aesthetic appeal. Installing adequate cooling and lighting systems in the large halls would create a conducive learning environment and providing adequate toilet facilities.

My experience at Uniport has broadened my knowledge in many ways, both academically and socially. I have met people with different characters and behaviors, which has changed my perspective on humanity. I have seen people ready to devour their fellow humans, and I have also seen people ready to give their all just to make sure you are comfortable. This contrast has taught me to appreciate the kindness of others and to always be willing to lend a helping 

hand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpeel The Secret: Amazing Facts About Cucumber Reaveled